Wednesday, April 10

Same candy, different wrapper....


I have been praying about headcovering lately...that if it wasn't from the Father (for me), then to take away the desire to do it...Well, its been a couple weeks and the desire is still there...and I also asked for a sign. Last night I had a dream, about a bunch of women, we were in a mall like setting, stores around, and there were women everywhere, covered with scarves and coverings of one type or another. All walks, and different religions, all walking the same path in regards to that...interesting! a sign? maybe, maybe not...So, on I go.

I also told hubby last night as I took off my scarf, that its like a "hug" on my head or protection from harm or something, I can't quite get a finger on it..ITS NOT A COMMANDMENT, I know this. Neither "testament" (OT/Torah and prophets or the New Testament) gives direct commandments for it. It is an amazing feeling though for me. Yesterday, while at the Library, I was sitting, just browsing some magazines...and the two things that jumped out at me, were some really cute modest clothes, (pics later) , and the amount of ads about a different kind of "covering" with makeup and clothing that calls for attention to ME ME ME, not just pretty clothes that are nice and clean and well made, but over the top, and the hair color and all that stuff for makeup and hair products...I have realized, that even if you have no clothes on, if its to get attention, its covering something else up. This is why I'm so strong on learning about who you are in your own skin. As there are multi-million dollar industries for everything, from hair stuff, to clothing, to work out places and things to do to get "thin" quick etc, and makeup and on and on and on....but if used to cover up who you really are and not for making yourself more "approachable" for good, then that isn't good in my opinion. You know hiding weight issues, insecurity, pretty issues. There will always be someone thinner, prettier, more confident. We have to start where we are, and by asking God to "make us more like Him", since we are created in His image. Again this is what I am striving for, to be blessed by Him and to be a blessing for others. This is my humble prayer.

DON''T GET ME WRONG! I love my hair, its what is mine at the end of the night (as grey as it is), sometimes I have a love hate relationship...not too long ago, I wore a short bob, and colored my hair, once, 3 different colors, highlights..I still keep it nice for hubs, at home, or sometimes I wear a hat, or scarf(with a little fall, sometimes) when he and I are out, as that is his request(just hair in bun or up). I also wear make up, to some degree. As hubb prefers , I try to honor him and God and myself at the same time, a tall order some days! But I strive on!! I have been reading everything I can get my hands on. YES, dividing truth from fallacy, don't worry but still interesting. From the early American Indians (and hair and covering) to new age, to Christian, Catholic information on the subject to Sikh and Muslim and Jewish philosophers, the Blogosphere to other gals that do it, and why? I understand some things are just because "God said so", but since this isn't one of them, and it's not really mandated in Torah or the NT, technically, then, you have to dig deeper to understand it, if you wish to understand it..

My husband, and most of my friends not in the same place spiritually,(not saying that they are better or I am better, it just is this way) and that is ok, we all respect each other, or at least we try to. And my hubby and I aren't at the same place in this respect either. and that is ok, I love that man so much!!!!.. I feel he is my "beshert"(in hebrew means, the one for me; soul mate if you will ), anyway. I struggle with these things some days more than others, but isn't that the meaning of "Israel", to struggle with God.?

This reminds me of a story once long ago..I had some friends. The wife was a convert, husband was Jewish ,(He was born Jewish).... and his mothers dying words were, "don't let him get too religious". LOL. Their family at that time I would say he was "modern orthodox", she was " reform." I say this with total admiration for them, as they have been married all these years and gone through alot of things in life. She wasn't at the same place as he was either, but total respect and love and admiration for them and their kids..she made sure that their, kids went to religious school, that kashrut ( kosher ) food rules were followed in and out of the house, dog and horse food was kosher for Passover,(for his observance)etc. I mean, by talking to him or her or looking at them, you wouldn't know the depth of observance... The point being is she let him be who he was, and he let her be who she was. If a marriage doesn't let one another "breathe" then the marriage will die. Just like a plant that is ignored and not nurtured. IT WILL DIE! I have experienced this in my own life in my past. Hubby and I are not in the same place, but we are in the same PLACE, you know? We love each other deeply, as we have been through a lot too. And that usually makes you stronger And that is how a relationship grows, we aren't all made the same, even though in the image of our Creator, so how can we all think the same, even if we agree? So he supports what I do and why I do it, for the most part, even if he isn't "into" it.

Well, I hope to hear your thoughts on this, good or bad... and if you think I've gone off the deep end, that is ok too. I'm still ME, just different. Think of it this way...You get a candy bar...and you let it sit in the glove compartment in the sun, and you then forget about it, but when you get it again, its still a candy bar, just different than you imagined it, same wrapper, just the insides have changed? That is how I describe myself, until I come up with something better....


This is just some stuff on my head lately, (under my covering) and I decided to let you in on it...Hope you enjoy it and it blesses you...Hugs!

2 comments:

Psalmist said...

I'm still feeling it out, myself. :) I've covered my hair, off and on, since I was about 21. That kind of shocks me, to even count off the years like that. lol I know that some people are staunchly for or against headcovering, but I'm ... neither. ;) For some unanswerable reason, it is something that I feel very drawn to. It is probably not a very wonderful reason, but I found myself purposefully NOT wearing a covering, after some ladies online made snarky comments about women having their hair uncovered on their profile pictures. I guess it is just the rebeliousness in my nature that has me wearing my hair free, just because I CAN. lol :p I'm a stinker like that, even though I actually prefer to have my hair covered, in addition to being fully clothed and covered when out in public. It is interesting how looking at all of these topics gives us so much insight into who we are on the inside. :)

Diana Estep said...

Not into head coverings LOL since I am single (& old) I have Yeshua as my headcovering since I do not have a husband. What scripture says in NT is that a married womans headcovering is her husband as his is Yeshua

Post a Comment